Shot peening residual stresses in Ti-6Al-4V
Options and advice for measuring shot peening and other near-surface stress profiles
Option 1: use gage on top surface very near the cut.
Option 2: use back gauge like the experiment on this page
- Advantage: easier experimentally and much more robust to errors
- Disadvantage: less sensitive, however ...
- To improve sensitivity, use a thinner part. Use inherent strain or eigenstrain approach to transfer slitting results from test coupon to structure.
The back gauge measurements on this page could be improved
- Since strains and strain increments are large enough, could use smaller increments to get better resolution
- Smaller wire diameter would also help