Papers appearing since the literature review
I am no longer able to keep up with all of the new literature. This will be updated sporadically, if at all.
- Prime, M. B., and Crane, D. L., 2014, "Slitting Method Measurement of Residual Stress Profiles, Including Stress Discontinuities, in Layered Specimens," Residual Stress, Thermomechanics & Infrared Imaging, Hybrid Techniques and Inverse Problems, Volume 8, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, M. Rossi, M. Sasso, N. Connesson, R. Singh, A. DeWald, D. Backman, and P. Gloeckner, eds., Springer International Publishing, pp. 93-102. preprint (pdf). (LA-UR-13-21481)
- Aydıner, C. C., and Prime, M. B., 2013, "Three-Dimensional Constraint Effects on the Slitting Method for Measuring Residual Stress," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 135, pp. 031006-031001. DOI: 10.1115/1.4023849. (LA-UR-11-05295) preprint (pdf) Finally a definitive guide for when to use plane stress versus plane strain compliances, and a simple correction for in between. See the 2nd paragraph of the conclusions for a summary.
- Wong W, Hill MR, 2013, "Superposition and Destructive Residual Stress Measurements," Experimental Mechanics 53 (3):339-344. doi:10.1007/s11340-012-9636-y. A seminal paper, both in the use of multiple cuts + superposition, and in the use of the pulse-regularization method to get amazing stress resolution - see Figure 9 to see what is being resolved.
- M.M. Shokrieh, S. Akbari, A. Daneshvar, "A comparison between the slitting method and the classical lamination theory in determination of macro-residual stresses in laminated composites," Composite Structures, 96, 2013, pp. 708-715. A very nice experimental application of slitting to carbon/epoxy laminated plates looking at the discontinuous stress profiles. A 0.2 mm thick milling cutter was used to make the cut.
- Shokrieh, M. M., and R, S. A., 2012, "Effect of Residual Shear Stresses on Released Strains in Isotopic and Orthotropic Materials Measured by the Slitting Method," J.of Engineering Materials and Technology, 134(1), pp. 011006-011009. By far the most thorough study of shear stresses in slitting, an important subject. A strain gauge opposite the cut will not be affected by shear stress, but they can be important in other situations, see page on MMC.
- G. S. Schajer and Y. An, "Residual Stress Determination Using Cross-Slitting and Dual-Axis ESPI," Experimental Mechanics, 50, 169-177, 2010. Use of crossing slits and ESPI to get all in plane stresses. Nice validation. .
- Prime, M. B., “Plasticity Effects in Incremental Slitting Measurement of Residual Stresses,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 77(10), pp. 1552-1566, 2010. preprint (pdf) (LA-UR-09-7958) . Yielding effects in slitting measurements are not very common.
- B. Winiarski, R. M. Langford, J. Tian, Y. Yokoyama, P. K. Liaw, P. J. Withers, "Mapping Residual Stress Distributions at the Micron Scale in Amorphous Materials," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. DOI 10.1007/s11661-009-0127-4. Another very good application of FIB and DIC to slitting at the micron scale. Applied to a bulk metallic glass
- G. Montay, O. Sicot, A. Maras, E. Rouhaud, M. François, "Two Dimensions Residual Stresses Analysis Through Incremental Groove Machining Combined with Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry," Experimental Mechanics, 49, 459-469, 2009. The first extension of slitting to measuring 2D stress variations: not only with depth but also along slit length.
- M. Serafin, W. Cecot, "An Improved Computational Strategy to Estimate Residual Stresses from Crack Compliance Data," Experimental Mechanics, 49, 627-636, 2009. A good paper. They solve the inverse problem in terms of plastic strains instead of residual stress directly. This is basically an eigenstrain approach, which is very powerful. They also use adaptive FEM to reduce numerical approximation errors.
- Sebastian Nervi; Barna A. Szabó; Keith A. Young, "Prediction of Distortion of Airframe Components Made from Aluminum Plates," AIAA Journal, 2009, 47 (7), 1635-1641. A very nice measurement, using multiple strain gauges, of stresses in both directions of a 102 mm thick plate of 7050-T7451 Aluminum. They also showed that the effects of clamping and gravity have negligible effect on the results.
- L. Fratini, S. Pasta, A.P. Reynolds, "Fatigue crack growth in 2024-T351 friction stir welded joints: Longitudinal residual stress and microstructural effects," Int. J. of Fatigue, 31(3), 2009, pp 495-500. A good use of slitting to get KIrs and sort out residual stress vs. microstructural effects on fatigue crack growth.
- Jones, KW ; Dunn, ML, "Fatigue crack growth through a residual stress field introduced by plastic beam bending," FATIGUE & FRACTURE OF ENGINEERING MATERIALS & STRUCTURES, 31(10), p.863-875, 2008. A very well controlled fatigue crack growth study to isolate effects. Used plastic bending to put in stress and slitting to measure it.
- Milan, MT ; Bose, WW ; Ruckert, COFT ; Tarpani, JR, "Fatigue behaviour of friction stir welded AA2024-T3 alloy: longitudinal and transverse crack growth," FATIGUE & FRACTURE OF ENGINEERING MATERIALS & STRUCTURES (JUL 2008) Vol.31, iss.7, p.526-538. Another good application of slitting to get KIrs and correlate with fatigue crack growth behavior.
- G. Buffa, L. Fratini, S. Pasta and R. Shivpuri, "On the thermo-mechanical loads and the resultant residual stresses in friction stir processing operations," CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 57(1), 2008, Pages 287-290. Nice exploitation of the sensitivity of the slitting method to resolve subtle changes in stress from changes in Friction Stir Processing.
- Orynyak, I; Yakovleva, YS, "Application of the crack compliance method to long axial cracks in pipes with allowance for geometrical nonlinearity and shape imperfections (dents)," Engineering Fracture Mechanics; Sept. 2008; 75(14), p.4052-65. Not about measuring residual stress but about calculating KI in a dented pipe.
- Pasta, S ; Reynolds, AP, "Evaluation of residual stresses during fatigue test in an FSW joint," Strain, 44(2), p.147-152, 2008. A very nice use of measurements made in situ during fatigue testing in order to examine residual stress effects on fatigue crack growth.
- Colpo, F; Humbert, L; Botsis, J, "Characterisation of residual stresses in a single fibre composite with FBG sensor," Composites Science and Technology; 2007; 67(9), p.1830-1841. A rare use of circumefernetial cuts to get axial stresses. Also a unqiue use of data from a fibre Bragg grating.
- Luong, H; Hill, MR, " The effects of laser peening on high-cycle fatigue in 7085-T7651 aluminum alloy," Materials Science & Engineering: A, March 2008; 477(1-2), p.208-16. Nice application of slitting to parameter study on laser peened and anodized aluminum alloy.
- Lee, MJ; Hill, MR, "Intralaboratory repeatability of residual stress determined by the slitting method," Experimental Mechanics; 2007; 47(6), p.745-752. Not only a good study of repeatability, but also a simulation that showed plasticity effects to be small in spite of large stress magnitudes.
- Pouget, G. ; Reynolds, AP, "Residual stress and microstructure effects on fatigue crack growth in AA2050 friction stir welds," International Journal of Fatigue; March 2008; 30 (3), pp.463-72. Unlike other studies of fatigue crack growth in aluminum alloys, this nice study shows microstructural effects on crack growth rates in addition to residual stress effects.
- Tang, Zhi-Tao; Liu, Zhan-Qiang; Ai, Xing; Wan, Yi, " Measuring residual stresses depth profile in pre-stretched aluminum alloy plate using crack compliance method," Zhongguo Youse Jinshu Xuebao/Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals; September 2007; v.17, no.9, p.1404-1409 . This is all that is available in Engish.
- De Noni Junior, A; Hotza, D; Soler, VC; Vilches, ES, "Influencia del enfriamiento de la etapa de
cocción sobre las propiedades mecánicas
del gres porcelánico (Influence of post-fire cooling on porcelain tile mechanical properties)," BOLETIN DE LA SOCIEDAD ESPANOLA DE CERAMICA Y VIDRIO; JUL-AUG 2007; v.46, no.4, p.163-170. A very nice slitting measurement on ceramic tiles. Since it is not the main focus of the paper, there are not many details in the paper on the slitting measurements or results.
- Nervi, Sebastian; Szabó, Barna A, "On the estimation of residual stresses by the crack compliance method" Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 196, 3577-3584, 2007. A very nice study the errors associated with using a 2D approximation, such as plane strain, to analyze slitting data. The effect can be significant depending on specimen size.
- G. S. Schajer and M. B. Prime, “Residual Stress Solution Extrapolation for the Slitting Method using Equilibrium Constraints,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 129(2), 227-232, 2007. preprint (pdf) (LA-UR-06-2946). A nice way to get a stress answer that covers the entire thickness of the part.
- Urriolagoitia-Sosa, G; Durodola, JF; Fellows, NA, "Effect of strain hardening on residual stress distribution in beams determined using the crack compliance method," Journal of Strain Analysis For Engineering Design; FEB 2007; 42 (2), p.115-121. An interesting measurement of bent-beam stress profiles that are asymmetric because the beams were pre-strained unixially before bending.
- Milan, MT; Bose, WW; Tarpani, JR; Malafaia, AMS; Silva, CPO; Pellizer, BC; Pereira, LE, "Residual stress evaluation of AA2024-T3 friction stir welded joints," Journal of Materials Engineering And Performance; FEB 2007; 16(1), p.86-92. An application of HJ Schindler's fracture mechanics approach for slitting calculations. Nice results and a novel approach to calculating redistributed stresses in front of the cut.
- Lee, MJ ; Hill, MR, 2007, "Effect of strain gage length when determining residual stress by slitting," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 129(1), 375-382. A good study on an important consideration for accuracy of slitting measurements. And it has a nice table of compliances ready to use. Note: because of rounding errors, the coefficients in that paper will not give accurate results. Corrected coefficients are given in this erratum published in JEMT. Download the coefficients at this page from Mike Hill.
- Mercelis, P; Kruth, JP, " Residual stresses in selective laser sintering and selective laser melting," Rapid Prototyping Journal; 2006; vol.12, no.5, p.254-65. A good parameter study on laser-fabricated parts. They also did a test on a stress-relieved specimen; this is always a good thing to do to as an experimental control.
- M.B. Prime, P. Pagliaro, “Uncertainty, Model Error, and Improving the Accuracy of Residual Stress Inverse Solutions,” Proceedings of the 2006 SEM Annual Conference and Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, June 4-7, 2006, St. Louis, MO, USA, paper number 176 (CD-ROM proceedings). preprint (pdf) LA-UR-06-2087.
- Ghidini, T; Polese, C; Lanciotti, A; Donne, CD, "Simulations of fatigue crack propagation in friction stir welds under flight loading conditions," Materialpruefung, 2006; v.48, no.7-8, p.370-375. Slitting method used to get residual stresses in center cracked specimens and to predict fatigue crack growth rates.
- Wang, QC; Hu, XD; Li, W; Yuan, JL, "Numerical simulation of machining distortion of residually stressed aircraft aluminum components," Key Engineering Materials; 2006; vol.315-316, p.235-8. Briefly reports slitting results on an aluminum alloy with 4 different temper treatments.
- Sabate, N; Vogel, D; Gollhardt, A; Keller, J; Cane, C; Gracia, I; Morante, JR; Michel, B, “Measurement of residual stress by slot milling with focused ion-beam equipment,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering; Feb. 2006; vol.16, no.2, p.254-9. This paper and the next one show a great application of FIB used to make a 10 micron by 0.35 micron through slot in a 300nm thick membrane of silicon nitride.
Sabate, N.; Vogel, D.; Gollhardt, A.; Keller, J.; Michel, B.; Cane, C.; Gracia, I.; Morante, JR, “Measurement of residual stresses in micromachined structures in a microregion,” Applied Physics Letters; 2006; v.88, no.7, p.71910. The released deformations around the slot are measured using Digital Image Correlation on an SEM image, the results are fit to a crack-based equation in order to estimate the residual stresses.
- Sutton, MA; Reynolds, AP; Ge, YZ; Deng, X, " Limited weld residual stress measurements in fatigue crack propagation: Part II. FEM-based fatigue crack propagation with complete residual stress fields, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures; July 2006; v.29, no.7, p.537-545. Some slitting measurements in CT specimens from a friction stir weld. Also see part I for some nice work on expanding from limited spatial measurements to a fully defined residual stress field.
- Schajer, G. S., and Prime, M. B., 2006, "Use of Inverse Solutions for Residual Stress Measurements," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 128(3), 375-382. preprint (pdf). (LA-UR-04-5890) Using Tikhonov regularization to get a more versatile inverse procedure for calculating stresses (see theory page).
- Prime, M. B., and Hill, M. R., 2006, "Uncertainty, Model Error, and Order Selection for Series-Expanded, Residual-Stress Inverse Solutions," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 128(2), pp. 175-185. preprint (pdf). (LA-UR-05-2597). A detailed analysis of the series expansion procedure (see theory page) for calculating stress from the strain data.
- Sharma, A., and Bakis, C. E., 2006, "C-Shape Specimen for Tensile Radial Strength of Thick, Filament-Wound Rings," Journal of Composite Materials, 40(2), pp. 97-116. Interesting application to a composite ring.
- Lados, D. A., and Apelian, D., 2006, "The Effect of Residual Stress on the Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior of Al-Si-Mg Cast Alloys - Mechanisms and Corrective Mathematical Models," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 37A(1), pp. 133-145. Nice measurement of KIrs and then residual stress using slitting.
- M.B. Prime and M.R. Hill, "Measurement of Fiber-Scale Residual Stress
Variation in a Metal-Matrix Composite," Journal of Composite
Materials, 38(23), pp. 2079-2095, 2004. preprint (pdf)
. (LA-UR-03-4452) See page
on mmc measurements.
- DeWald, A. T., Rankin, J. E., Hill, M. R., Lee, M. J., and Chen, H.
L., 2004, "Assessment of Tensile Residual Stress Mitigation in
Alloy 22 Welds Due to Laser Peening," J. Engineering Materials
and Technology, 126(4), pp. 465-473. A
great use of slitting measurements to perform a parametric study on
residual stresses from laser peening. Also shows some stresses measured
by the contour method.
- K. J. Kang, S. Darzens, and G. S. Choi, "Effect
of Geometry and Materials on Residual Stress Measurement in Thin Films
by Using the Focused Ion Beam," J. Engineering
Materials and Technology, 126, pp. 457-464, 2004. A
fantastic use of focused ion beam (FIB) machining to put in a sub-micron
sized slot and SEM imaging to get nanometer range dispalcements. By
far, the smallest scale application ever of slitting.
- Aydiner, C. C., and Ustundag, E., "Residual Stresses in a Bulk
Metallic Glass Cylinder Induced by Thermal Tempering," Mechanics
of Materials, 37(1), pp. 201-212, 2004.
A very nice measurement in a solid rod. The agreement between top and
back gage results show how well the experiment was performed. Combined
with previous paper, shows how slitting solved
a question that other methods could not.
- A.T. Dewald, J.E. Rankin, M.R. Hill, K.I. Schaffers, "An improved
cutting plan for removing laser amplifier slabs from Yb:S-FAP single
crystals using residual stress measurement and finite element modeling,"
Journal of Crystal Growth ; 265(3-4), 627-641 (2004).
A great application of slitting to a large single
crystal, nice use of hoop stress measurements in a disk and long rod
to recover axial stresses, and an excellent use of the measured stresses
to fix a failure problem.
- W. K. Lim, J. H. Song, and B. V., Sankar, "Effect of Ring Indentation
on Fatigue Crack Growth in an Aluminum Plate, Int. Journal of Fatigue,
25, 1271-1277 (2003). A good use of slitting,
and these authors use relative displacement of two points instead of
a strain gauge.
- J. E. Rankin, M.R. Hill, L.A. Hackel, "The effects
of process variations on residual stress in laser peened 7049 T73 aluminum
alloy," Materials Science and Engineering A, A349,
279-291, 2003. Besides being a very nice application of slitting to near-surface
stresses, this paper explains the method and the calculations very well
and very nicely demonstrates the resolution and repeatability of compliance
- R. R. de Swardt, "Finite Element Simulation of Crack Compliance Experiments
to Measure Residual Stresses in Thick-Walled Cylinders," J. Pressure
Vessel Tech., 125, pp. 305-308, 2003. A
nice study looking at FEM simulations of autofrettage stresses and comparing
with crack compliance data. Note that measuring through-thickness stresses
in a cylinder can cause yielding problems because the stresses can have
a bending moment. You can avoid this by making one cut to release and
measuring the bending component and then doing compliance measurements
on the remaining piece to get the remainder of the stresses.
- J. E. Rankin and M. R. Hill, "Measurement of Thickness-Average Residual
Stress Near the Edge of a Thin Laser Peened Strip," J.
Engineering Materials and Technology, 125, pp. 283-293, 2003.
A seminal paper. Shows
a way to select a priori an optimal gage location, which they
had to do because they measured on an edge instead of the top or back.
Note that the conclusion that Fourier or Power series were inferior
to Legendre is incorrect and will be corrected in a follow up.
- S. Finnie, W. Cheng, I. Finnie, J. M. Drezet, and M. Gremaud, "The
Computation and Measurement of Residual Stresses in Laser Deposited
Layers," J. Engineering Materials and Technology, 125,
pp. 302-308, 2003. A nice measurement that deals with layers a part of non-uniform
thickness (out of plane). Interestingly, they had to cut from substrate
side towards the layer or else the part cracked.
- C. C. Aydiner, E. Üstündag, M. B.
Prime and A. Peker, "Modeling and Measurement of Residual Stresses in
Bulk Metallic Glass Plate," Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids,
316, pp. 82-95, 2003. The compliance method
was about the only way to measure stresses in these bulk metallic glass
plates. Very good results even though the stresses were low. preprint (pdf). (LA-UR-02-1361)
- Neubrand A, Chung TJ, Rodel J, Steffler ED, Fett T, "Residual stresses
in functionally graded plates." Journal of Materials Research,
17, 2912-2920, 2002. Nice use of Moire Interferometry
to measure deformations, but they did not take enough cut increments
to resolve the through-thickness stress profile. (They did 10 or 12,
you really need 30 or more)
- Kim BS, Bernet N, Sunderland P, Manson JA, "Numerical analysis of
the dimensional stability of thermoplastic composites using a thermoviscoelastic
approach," Journal of Composite Materials, 36, 2389-2403,
2002. Briefly reported crack compliance measurements
on a V-shaped laminate composite part.
- Klotz UE, Zgraggen M, Von Trzebiatowski O, Schindler HJ, Winkler M,
Pitschieler K, "Residual stress measurement on a welded box beam section,"
(In German) Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik, 33(9),
544-549, 2002. A very nice application of the compliance
method including a correction for cutting out test samples from a larger
- M. B. Prime, M. R. Hill, and H.-J. Schindler, "Measuring Residual
Stress Effects in CT Specimens," Workshop on Residual Stress Effects
on Fatigue and Fracture Testing and Incorporating Results into Design,
ASTM, Pittsburgh, PA, May 8, 2002. preprint (pdf)
. A 1 page follow up to paper
on compact tension specimens. This gives the equation so that one
can use clip guage (CMOD) data instead of strain data to calculate residual
stress effects in fatigue or fracture testing of CT specimens.
- C. Dalle Donne, E. Lima, J. Wegener, A. Pyzalla, T. Buslaps, "Investigations
on Residual Stresses in Friction Stir Welds," Proc. 3rd Int. Symposium
on Friction Stir Welding, 27-28 September 2001,Kobe Japan, TWI (UK).
preprint (pdf) . Preprint by permission
of the authors. A very nice application of the compliance method to friction stir
weld specimens. Also measurements using x-ray, neutrons, and synchrotrons.
- S. Güngör, "Residual stress measurements in fibre reinforced
titanium alloy composites," Acta Materialia, 50, pp. 2053-2073,
2002. Nice strain measurement using Moire interferometry
and a complicated specimen. Unfortunately, the data analysis in this
paper used a beam bending approximation which has been proven to be
inaccurate (see paper on compact tension specimens)
- M. R. Hill and W. Y. Lin, "Residual Stress Measurement in a Ceramic-Metallic
Graded Material," J. Engineering Materials and Technology, 124,
pp. 185-191, 2002. A very nice measurement of residual
stresses in a layered composite and an important treatment of uncertainty
propagation in crack compliance measurements.
- Kostylev VI, Margolin BZ, "Determination of residual stress and strain
fields caused by cladding and tempering of reactor pressure vessels,"
Int. J. Pressure Vessels And Piping, 77, pp. 723-735,
2000.A nice measurement of cladding and substrate stresses using the
compliance method. Although a couple years
old, I just discovered this paper.
- Chung TJ, Neubrand A, Rodel J, "Effect of residual stress on the fracture
toughness of Al2O3/Al gradient materials," Key Engineering Materials,
206-213, pp. 965-968, 2002. Not much detail
on the crack compliance measurements, but they used Moire interferometry
to measure the deformations. Nice demonstration of the effect of residual
stress on fracture toughness measurements.
- M. B. Prime and M. R. Hill, "Residual Stress, Stress Relief, and Inhomogeneity
in Aluminum Plate," Scripta Materialia, 46, pp. 77-82,
2002. preprint (pdf) see aluminum page
- W. Cheng, I. Finnie, R. O. Ritchie, "Residual Stress Measurement on
Pyrolytic Carbon-coated Graphite Leaflets for Cardiac Valve Prostheses,"
Proc. 2001 SEM Annual Conference on Experimental and Applied Mechanics,
June 4-6, Portland, Oregon, 604-607.Residual stresses
in a layered part. A nice use of the inherent strain principle deals
well with any stress singularity across the interface.
- C. Dalle Donne, G. Biallas, T. Ghidini, & G. Raimbeaux, "Effect
of Weld Imperfections and Residual Stresses on the Fatigue Crack Propagation
in Friction Stir Welded Joints," Proc. 2nd Int. Conf on Friction
Stir Welding, 26-28 June 2000, Gothenberg Sweden. preprint (pdf)
. Preprint by permission of the authors. A very
nice application of crack compliance, showing the importance of knowing
residual stress when you measure fatigue crack propagation rates.
- A.M. Venter, R.R. de Swardt, S. Kyriacou, "Comparative measurements
on autofrettaged cylinders with large Bauschinger reverse yielding zones,"
J. Strain Anal. Eng. Des., 35, 459-469, 2000.
- J.M. Ganley, A. K. Maji, S. Huybrechts, "Explaining spring-in in
filament wound carbon fiber/epoxy composites," J. Composite Materials,
34, 1216-1239, 2000. Measurement of through-thickness
hoop residual stresses in layered, orthotropic cylinder.
- M. B. Prime, V. C. Prantil, P. Rangaswamy and F. P. Garcia, "Residual
Stress Measurement and Prediction in a Hardened Steel Ring," Materials
Science Forum, Vols. 347-349, 223-228, 2000.
preprint (pdf) (LA-UR-99-5103) see ring page
- H. J. Schindler, "Residual Stress Measurement in Cracked Components:
Capabilities and Limitations of the Cut Compliance Method," Materials
Science Forum, Vols. 347-349, 150-155, 2000. Nice
corrections for finite cut width and yielding effects.
- M.B. Prime et al., "Measuring Spatial Variation of Residual Stresses
in a MMC Using Crack Compliance," Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Composites
Engineering, pp. 711-712. preprint (pdf)
. (LA-UR-00-2084) See mmc
- H. J. Schindler et al., "Determination and Evaluation of Residual
Stresses in Thick-Walled Cylinders due to Auto-Frettage," Proc. of
the 6th Int. Conf. on Residual Stresses, Oxford, U.K., July 10-12,
2000, Vol. 2, 837-844. Also has a nice discussion
of correcting for stress relief from cutting a small piece from a larger
- D. Nowell et al., "Use of the Crack Compliance Method for the Measurement
of Residual Stress," Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. on Residual Stresses,
Oxford, U.K., July 10-12, 2000, Vol. 2, 845-852.
- H. J. Schindler, "On the significance of crack tip shielding in fatigue
threshold - theoretical relations and experimental implications," Fatigue
Crack Growth Thresholds, Endurance Limits, and Design, ASTM STP 1372,
J.C. Newman, Jr. and R. S. Piascik, Eds., ASTM, 2000, 46-62. Measurement of crack closure effects.
- N. Ersoy, O. Vardar, "Measurement of residual stresses in layered
composites by compliance method," J. Composite Materials, 34,
575-598, 2000. Measurement of through-thickness
stresses in layered, orthotropic material.
- G. G. Budnitskii, "Rapid Method of Determining Internal Residual-Stresses
in Cylindrical Bodies (On the Example of Railroad Rails)," Industrial
Laboratory, 59, 1993, 71-74. Translated from Zavodskaia
Laboratoriia. Longitunal stresses through the thickness of railroad rails.
Although this predates the literature review, this
reference not discovered until later.
- S. Tochilin, D. Nowell, & D. A. Hills, "Residual Stress Measurement
by the Crack Compliance Technique," Proc. 11th Int. Conf. on Exp.
Mech., Oxford, UK, 1998, 2, 1313-1318. Measurement
on a Waspaloy beam.
- W. K. Lim, J. S. Yoo, S. Y. Choi, "The Effects of Concurrent Cold-Expansion
and Ring-Indentation on the Growth of Fatigue Cracks Emanating from
Circular Holes," Eng. Fract. Mech., 59, 1998, 643-653.
Similar to previous work by K. J. Kang.
- R. Pathania, W. Cheng, et al.,"Analytical and experimental evaluation
of residual stresses in BWR core shroud welds," ASME Press. Vess.
& Piping Division Pub. PVP 373, 1998, p.337-349. Axial
stresses measured near circumferential weld.
- C. J. Gilbert, V. Schroeder, R. O. Ritchie, "Mechanisms for fracture
and fatigue-crack propagation in a bulk metallic glass," Metall.
& Mater. Trans. A, 30, 1999, 1739-1754. Very
brief mention of measurements on compact tension specimen.
- D. Nowell, "Strain changes caused by finite width slots, with particular
reference to residual stress measurement," J. Strain Anal. Eng. Des.,
34, 1999, 285-294. Important results for
near surface measurements.