For more information on the
contour method, email Mike Prime.
I'm glad to try to answer questions on implementing the method, licensing
the method, or having measurements performed.
Where to start if you want to learn the contour method? I recommend four articles to start:
- The Contour Method, Michael B. Prime and Adrian T. DeWald, 2013, in Practical Residual Stress Measurement Methods, Gary S. Schajer, Editor, pp. 109-138.
- Hosseinzadeh, F., Kowal, J., and Bouchard, P. J., 2014, "Towards good practice guidelines for the contour method of residual stress measurement," The Journal of Engineering.
- The dissertation from Johnson gives a good introduction and and good collection of details on data processing in Chapters 3&4.
- The 2001 report from DeWald and Hill has lots of practical information and some MATLAB scripts. The analysis of the data took a lot of work because the cut (that I gave them) was very poor, which may be helpful for some readers.
Other contour method practitioners
- Hill Engineering is now licensed to perform contour method measurements.
- Stressmap in the UK is now providing measurement services with the contour method.
- Veqter in the UK also is now providing measurement services with the contour method.
Los Alamos Residual Stress