Non-U.S. Citizens

Bringing together top space science students with internationally recognized researchers at Los Alamos in an educational and collaborative atmosphere.


  • Administrative Assistant
  • Lynea Koshar
  • Email

All non-U.S. citizens

Non-U.S. citizens selected for admission to the summer school still need to be approved to visit the Lab. Approval in the FVTS (Foreign Visits Tracking System) is required. Students are not allowed to be on Lab property or receive fellowship payment until the FVTS is approved.

Be aware that approvals can 60-75 days to process, and may not be decided until right before the start of the summer school. In the unlikely event that a student does NOT receive FVTS approval, he/she will NOT be allowed to visit the Lab, participate in the summer school, or receive the fellowship.

If the FVTS is denied, the student cannot be reimbursed for any expenses (e.g. travel, housing) that he/she has already incurred in preparing to attend the summer school.

Non-U.S. citizens enrolled at non-U.S. universities

In addition to the FVTS requirement above, non-U.S. citizens enrolled in graduate programs outside the U.S. who are selected for admission to the summer school need to apply for a visa to enter the U.S. to attend the summer school and be paid the fellowship.

The Lab will sponsor the visa (prepare a document needed for the visa appointment), and will work with the student to apply, but the student will ultimately be responsible for submitting the application, paying all applications fees, and visiting the nearest U.S. embassy for his/her interview and to pick up the visa.

Note: if the visa is NOT approved, the student cannot receive the fellowship or be reimbursed for any expenses incurred in trying to obtain the visa.

We understand these rules make it difficult and more costly for non-U.S. citizens studying outside the U.S. to attend the summer school, so please be aware of them before applying.

Note that two additional letters of reference are required from non-U.S. citizens enrolled in graduate programs outside the U.S., as part of the application materials.

Application process »

Visit Blogger Join Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter See our Flickr Photos Watch Our YouTube Videos Find Us on LinkedIn Find Us on iTunesFind Us on GooglePlayFind Us on Instagram