Materials Physics and Applications
We develop new technologies that solve pressing national energy and security challenges by exploring and exploiting materials and their properties; developing practical applications of materials, and providing world-class user facilities.
Developing new technologies to solve national energy, security challenges
Material Physics and Applications Division (MPA) lays the foundation for enhanced national security through functional materials research and device development.
Learn more about our staff and our accomplishments
- Actinide chemistry
- Advanced separation technologies
- Electro-magnet design
- Extreme high magnetic fields
- Hydrogen storage and fuel cells
- Nanomaterials synthesis and characterization
- Sensors: acoustic, hydrogen, high explosive
- Spectroscopy (neutron, NMR, NIR-VIS)
- Strongly correlated materials
- Ultrafast materials and optical science