More science and learning activities
Free education in many fields:
- The Kahn Academy is a nonprofit organization producing rigorous free online lessons. Take a look, you may be amazed. (Videos) (Note to KA math students: Please don't drop your units. They can be helpful checking your answers and they are critically important in science.)
- How Stuff Works We appreciate the effort these people have put in to explain just about everything we can think of.
- The Exploratorium Founded by Frank Oppenheimer, J. Robert's brother, the Exploratorium is the granddaddy of hands-on minds-on science museums.
- Games and Puzzles from Jefferson Lab JLAB educators have so much fun that we just have to link to our cousin's page in ours.
- The National High Field Magnetic Laboratory education site. LANL has the Pulsed Field Facility of this cooperative program. Lots about magnets!
- These people have a nice take on the scale of the universe.
- Veritasium.com is an impressive effort to explain concepts in science, many of which are cloaked in misunderstandings. (Videos)
- In a similar vein is Minute Physics. (Videos)
- Astronomy picture of the day The name largely says it all: beautiful pictures from our very own universe.
- NASA's Space Place NASA maintains a plethora of websites. This is a great place to start
- NASA's Space Place en Español Space Place in Spanish.
- Space Weather This is a fun place to keep up with our local star.
- Mars Exploration We are excited about Mars exploration, Los Alamos National Laboratory plays a big role in this research.
- http://www.e-aircraftsupply.com/space-education/ has a terrific list of websites that explore many topics in space science. Tip of the hat to students of ColoradoTutors.org for this one!
- NOVA Secrets of the Mind A fascinating look inside our brain.
- ChemMystery Activities Chemistry plays a part in every corner of our lives. We like this website.
- Jefferson Lab's Joanna and Steve experiment with liquid nitrogen and other topics at their Frostbite Theater. (Videos)
- Jefferson Lab Hands-on science activities, worksheets, games, and more.
- World Space Week Free teacher activity guide to space related activities.
- Los Alamos Historical Society Wonderful website about Los Alamos and its history.
What If is Randall Munroe's, author of XKCD.com, attempt to answer physics questions. As with XKCD, we suggest a grain of salt, but we do enjoy his production.