- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- (505) 667-5061
Richard A. (Rich) Marquez currently serves Los Alamos National Laboratory as executive director, reporting to the Laboratory director.
Marquez leads institutional initiatives and provides oversight for several Laboratory organizations, including
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Ethics and Audits
- Government Affairs and Protocol
- Ombuds Office
- Prime Contract
He joined the Laboratory’s executive leadership team in February 2002. From 2002 to 2006, Marquez served as Associate Director for Administration, leading a staff of 1,500 and directing the Laboratory’s Human Resources, Information Management, Chief Financial Office, and Supply Chain Management divisions among others.
- Marquez served as the Laboratory Transition Manager of the 2006 contract transition from University of California to Los Alamos National Security, LLC.
- From 1997 to 2001, Marquez was the deputy director for operations for Burns and Roe Enterprises, Inc., serving as the senior manager in Los Alamos for the national engineering firm. He worked extensively with defense and nuclear energy programs and managed contracts that included the Accelerator Production of Tritium project.
- Marquez served for 18 years with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Albuquerque Operations Office. He started his government career as an attorney and completed it as a Senior Executive Service manager.
- Received a number of significant awards and recognitions, including the Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Service, the Hammer Award for Reinventing Government, the National Procurement Management Council’s Best Practices Award, DOE’s Cultural Diversity Award, and a 2004 HENAAC Luminary.
- Received his bachelor’s degree in political science from Colorado State University and a juris doctorate from the University of New Mexico School of Law.
- Received a Leadership and Service Award, Northern New Mexico College, 2012.