Principal Associate Director - Operations and Business
Beard is responsible for the Lab's nuclear high-hazard operations; business services; maintenance; infrastructure planning; the Environment, Safety, and Health directorate; safeguards and security; and institutional quality.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- (505 667-5061
Principal Associate Director for Operations and Business Services
As Principal Associate Director for Operations and Business Services, Beard is responsible for the Laboratory’s nuclear high-hazard operations; business services; maintenance; infrastructure planning; the Environment, Safety, and Health directorate; safeguards and security; and institutional quality.
Beard joined the Lab in 2006 and the executive leadership team in 2011.
From 2006-2011, he served as the Associate Director for Plutonium Science and Manufacturing, which is responsible for the production of nuclear weapon components and other national security-related products and services.
- Before joining LANL, Beard was the Engineering Division Manager at the BWXT-Pantex Plant, where he was responsible for engineering support for all weapons assembly and disassembly operations.
- Beard’s Pantex experience also included managing the Applied Technology Division, which is responsible for high explosive manufacturing and testing operations.
- Beard served as Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Director of the Nuclear Engineering Teaching Laboratory (a 1.1 MW TRIGA nuclear reactor) at the University of Texas (UT) at Austin.
- Before employment at UT, Beard worked at LANL as a Project Manager and Technical Staff Member, working on a variety of nuclear materials-related activities.
- Carl has a B.S., M.S., and PhD in Nuclear Engineering from Texas A&M University.