- Long-Term Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability Strategy ›
- Clean the Past ›
- Tour: Environmental Cleanup
- Protections: Cleanup ›
- What waters does LANL protect? ›
- How did contaminants get there? ›
- Control the Present ›
- Something in the Air? ›
- Protections: Sediment ›
- Protections: Sediment Control = Contaminant Retention
- Tour: Sediment Retention
- Protection #2: Trap and Remove Sediment
- Stormwater Controls
- Stop Contaminant Movement & the Individual Permit
- View of Stormwater Monitoring Sites
- Stormwater Control Structures
- How are the aftereffects of wildfire managed?
- Las Conchas Wildfire
- Stormwater Controls after Wildfire
- Los Alamos Canyon Weir
- 10,000 Willows
- Pueblo Canyon Grade Control Structure
- Early Notification Gages
- Protections: Sampling ›
- Protection #3: Sample and Survey
- Tour: Environmental Monitoring
- Groundwater Monitoring
- How does LANL determine where to put a monitoring well?
- Protection of the Groundwater Resource
- The Location Investigation Process
- The Location Determination Process
- Monitoring Well Placement
- Contaminant Sources
- Groundwater Monitoring Network
- View of Groundwater Monitoring Sites
- Well Placement Decision Process
- Create a Sustainable Future ›
- ‹ Planning for Years to Come
- ‹ Living a Sustainable Future
- ‹ Commitment to Public Involvement
- ‹ Why is a long-term strategy important?
- Multimedia ›
Environmental Sustainability Goals
LANL continues to strive to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to meet and surpass Department of Energy goals. The Lab’s goal is to reduce emissions from energy use in our facilities and driving vehicles in our fleet by 28 percent.
LANL supports and encourages employees to reduce their personal greenhouse gas emissions by offering various commuting and work schedule options. Our goal is to reduce emissions related to employee travel and commuting to and from work by 13 percent.
High Performance Sustainable Building
Maintaining the conditions of a building improves the health of not only the surrounding ecosystems, but also the well-being of its occupants.
Water Use Efficiency and Management
Aware of the arid climate of northern New Mexico, water reduction and conservation remains a primary concern at LANL.
LANL is dedicated to finding ways to reduce waste, prevent pollution, and recycle waste that cannot be reduced.
To ensure that LANL meets its environmental responsibilities, our goal is to purchase and use environmentally sustainable products whenever possible.
LANL is committed to implementing best management practices for energy efficient management of electronic equipment and computing resources.
Science Serving Sustainability
LANL recognizes the importance of the innovative developments being produced at the nation's scientific laboratories and supports connecting science to real world applications.