- Long-Term Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability Strategy ›
- Clean the Past ›
- Tour: Environmental Cleanup
- Protections: Cleanup ›
- What waters does LANL protect? ›
- How did contaminants get there? ›
- Control the Present ›
- Something in the Air? ›
- Protections: Sediment ›
- Protections: Sediment Control = Contaminant Retention
- Tour: Sediment Retention
- Protection #2: Trap and Remove Sediment
- Stormwater Controls
- Stop Contaminant Movement & the Individual Permit
- View of Stormwater Monitoring Sites
- Stormwater Control Structures
- How are the aftereffects of wildfire managed?
- Las Conchas Wildfire
- Stormwater Controls after Wildfire
- Los Alamos Canyon Weir
- 10,000 Willows
- Pueblo Canyon Grade Control Structure
- Early Notification Gages
- Protections: Sampling ›
- Protection #3: Sample and Survey
- Tour: Environmental Monitoring
- Groundwater Monitoring
- How does LANL determine where to put a monitoring well?
- Protection of the Groundwater Resource
- The Location Investigation Process
- The Location Determination Process
- Monitoring Well Placement
- Contaminant Sources
- Groundwater Monitoring Network
- View of Groundwater Monitoring Sites
- Well Placement Decision Process
- Create a Sustainable Future ›
- ‹ Planning for Years to Come
- ‹ Living a Sustainable Future
- ‹ Commitment to Public Involvement
- ‹ Why is a long-term strategy important?
- Multimedia ›
Example Demolition: TA-21
Water sprayed during demolition to protect air quality
The buildings at TA-21
- Were built as long ago as the 1940s
- Replaced Manhattan-era facilities
- Housed labs, offices, and production facilities from the Manhattan Project and Cold War eras
Decontamination and Demolition at TA-21
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funded decontamination and demolition of 24 buildings.
- Before demolition, each building stripped of equipment, pipes and other fixtures, minimizing the amount of waste sent to landfills.
- When possible, metal from the buildings was recycled and equipment was salvaged.
Waste transportation in DOT-certified covered bins
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act:
In record time, LANL demolished 24 Cold War–era buildings, forever changing the skyline at TA-21.
» Watch the video
TSTA Decontamination and Demolition
The Office of Science funded the decontamination and demolition of the Tritium Science Test Assembly Facility in 2011.
» Watch the video