- Long-Term Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability Strategy ›
- Clean the Past ›
- Tour: Environmental Cleanup
- Protections: Cleanup ›
- What waters does LANL protect? ›
- How did contaminants get there? ›
- Control the Present ›
- Something in the Air? ›
- Protections: Sediment ›
- Protections: Sediment Control = Contaminant Retention
- Tour: Sediment Retention
- Protection #2: Trap and Remove Sediment
- Stormwater Controls
- Stop Contaminant Movement & the Individual Permit
- View of Stormwater Monitoring Sites
- Stormwater Control Structures
- How are the aftereffects of wildfire managed?
- Las Conchas Wildfire
- Stormwater Controls after Wildfire
- Los Alamos Canyon Weir
- 10,000 Willows
- Pueblo Canyon Grade Control Structure
- Early Notification Gages
- Protections: Sampling ›
- Protection #3: Sample and Survey
- Tour: Environmental Monitoring
- Groundwater Monitoring
- How does LANL determine where to put a monitoring well?
- Protection of the Groundwater Resource
- The Location Investigation Process
- The Location Determination Process
- Monitoring Well Placement
- Contaminant Sources
- Groundwater Monitoring Network
- View of Groundwater Monitoring Sites
- Well Placement Decision Process
- Create a Sustainable Future ›
- ‹ Planning for Years to Come
- ‹ Living a Sustainable Future
- ‹ Commitment to Public Involvement
- ‹ Why is a long-term strategy important?
- Multimedia ›
How did contaminants get there?
Historical operations used the best available waste handling methods for that time.
Los Alamos townsite bordered by Pueblo and Los Alamos Canyons
Regulators decide how waste from LANL is handled and disposed.
Regulators make the majority of waste disposition determinations for the Laboratory. LANL is committed to compliance. Over 35 separate state and federal environmental regulations covering waste disposal, clean air, clean water, care of wildlife and plants, and handling of hazardous and radioactive substances ensure stewardship of these resources. When exceedances occur, prompt corrective and preventative actions are taken.