There will be no call for new SII proposals before February 2011. Please check back.
The Technology Transfer (TT) Division will provide small investments (ideation grants) to explore and demonstrate the feasibility of innovative science and technology concepts. Desired outcomes are (i) the creation of new intellectual property with future commercial or programmatic applications and/or (ii) reduced technical uncertainty and risk in innovative concepts that will be the subject of proposals to further develop those concepts.
FY10 SII Program Details
- TT will fund up to 10 awards, each not to exceed $20K.
- Funding may be used for T&E as well as acquisition of resources to assist in performing work.
- Funding will come from TT retained license income and is exempt from the Laboratory G&A overhead rate and Gross Receipts Tax.
All LANL researchers—technical staff members and post-docs, U.S. citizens and foreign nationals—may apply. Any proposal selected that has foreign national participation must be approved through a SAFE-Division review before the project can begin.
Successful strategic innovation investment proposals must
- Exhibit strong potential for generation of new intellectual property; and
- Demonstrate market relevance or support an industrial market need with high potential to attract a collaborative partnership (through a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement) to the Laboratory; or
- Demonstrate programmatic relevance or support a program need with high potential to attract programmatic funding.
Preference will be given to projects that start within 60 days and end within 180 days of receiving funding.
How to Apply
Individuals seeking to submit proposals must complete and submit the Application Form.
The deadline for submission is October 15, 2009.
Award announcements will be made no later than October 30, 2009.
If you have questions, please contact John Mott (firstname.lastname@example.org or 665-0883).