- Program Director
- Program Managers
For approximately 45 years, LANL has engaged in space projects with applications that range from fundamental science and military functions to commercial and civilian activities. LANL scientists have conducted advanced research in areas such as astrophysics, planetary science, space physics, and earth sciences including climate research.
technology has far-reaching
applications. For example, the Los Alamos neutron detector
system discovered water on
Mars and LANL’s lightweight
radioisotope heater units
prevent the Spirit and Opportunity
rovers from freezing during
(-107°C) Martian nights.
LANL has expertise in sciences such as astrophysics, space science, ionospheric science, atmospheric science, remote sensing, electrodynamics, and space technology and engineering. Broader disciplines include high-performance computing, advanced knowledge tools, material science, and systems research that support our space enterprise. Specific experience and expertise includes the following:
- Developed more than 1,400 sensors and 400 instruments for 60 satellites and spacecraft.
- Designed revolutionary optical, radio-frequency, gamma, x-ray, particle, and space environmental sensors.
- Possess unrivaled advanced high-performance computing and knowledge systems.
- Perform physics-based modeling and analysis.
- Conduct concept-to-operations multidisciplinary programs.
- Apply unique high-power beams and electrodynamics expertise and infrastructure to develop revolutionary capabilities in space operations, imaging, and control.
- Offer multisponsor partnering and collaboration.