Materials Science in Radiation and Dynamics Extremes
Our combination of modeling and experimental testing capabilities opens up unparalleled opportunities to do fundamental research leading to physics-based predictive models.
Evaluating and predicting structure/property relationships
- Predicts structure/property relationships of structural (metals, alloys, actinides, binders, energetic, and specialty) materials from atomistic to continuum length scales;
- Uses computational materials modeling to inform and complement the measurements listed above;
- Synthesizes and characterizes thermophysical properties, in particular of single crystals, ceramics, and nuclear fuels;
- Measures static and dynamic mechanical properties of metals, ceramics, polymers and energetic materials and prediction of their constitutive performance particularly as affected by microstructure; and
- Employs a wide range of ion, photon, and neutron beam techniques for sample characterization.