Earth and Environmental Sciences
We provide solutions to complex problems in climate and environmental change, sustainable energy, and national security.
Earth sciences is vital to national and global security via study of ecological, climate, and atmospheric impacts; sustainable and carbon-neutral energy; and detection of nuclear threats.
In Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES), we combine our capabilities in field and laboratory measurements with analysis and modeling on high-performance computers to:
- Reveal climate change drivers and ecosystem impacts
- Perfect geological greenhouse gas sequestration
- Model and predict subsurface movement
- Improve geothermal and unconventional oil/gas extraction
- Develop wind energy
- Predict wildland and urban fires
- Provide advanced seismic imaging
- Monitor, detect and predict underground explosions, improvised weapons.
- Advanced computational Earth sciences
- Atmospheric, climate and ecosystem science
- Geology and geophysics
- Study and modeling of Earth’s processes and materials
- Atmospheric Science
- Computational Science