About the Research Library
We deliver agile, responsive knowledge services, connecting people with information, technology and resources.
Essential knowledge services for national security sciences.
The Research Library provides extensive collections of books, journals, databases, patents and technical reports and offers literature searching, training and outreach services. The library's R&D component pursues cutting-edge work in areas such as open archives, recommendation systems and visualization, emergency response information systems, and discovery systems.
External Research Information
Providing access and discovery to scientific and technical publications and data
Institutional Scientific Content
Collect, curate, preserve, and provide access to institutional scientific content.
Providing individual and institutional metrics and reports on impact and capabilities.
Enhancing Research Communications
Helping to shape and influence the future of scientific communication and knowledge management.
Collaboration and Service
Collaborating with customers on scientific discovery, management of scientific content, and knowledge management.
Business and Operations
Supporting the Library budget and computing infrastructure, and licensing all digital scholarly information resources provided by the Library.
Public Access Hours
The Research Library is pleased to offer public hours Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm (excluding LANL holidays/closures).
Available Resources (from WITHIN Library)
In-person visitors can access the Library’s print collection of books and journals (as listed in the Library Catalog). Also, our 12 public computer terminals provide access to:
- Electronic Databases
- Electronic Books (some limitations)
- Electronic Journals
Available Resources (from OUTSIDE Library)
- Library Catalog
- Electronic Public Reading Room (EPRR) - LANL documents required for compliance with environmental regulations and permits
- Books: HathiTrust Digital Library - public domain works from college/university digital libraries
- Journals: Directory of Open Access Journals - list of free, full text scientific and scholarly journals
- Patents: Google Patents - Google search interface of the USPTO Database
- Preprints: arXiv - open access, scientific preprint server (begun at LANL)
- Reports: Energy Citations Database - DOE reports (1948-present)
- Standards: EverySpec - government and military standards, specifications, handbooks, and documents
- Theses and Dissertations: Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
Subject Pages list core resources by subject, and may contain other publicly available resources.