About the Research Library
We deliver agile, responsive knowledge services, connecting people with information, technology and resources.
Essential knowledge services for national security sciences.
The Research Library provides extensive collections of books, journals, databases, patents and technical reports and offers literature searching, training and outreach services. The library's R&D component pursues cutting-edge work in areas such as open archives, recommendation systems and visualization, emergency response information systems, and discovery systems.
Access for Members of the Public
Hours of Operation
The Research Library is pleased to offer public hours 7:30am-5pm Monday-Thursday and 7:30-4pm Friday (excluding LANL holidays/closures).
Available Resources (from WITHIN Library)
Visitors onsite can access the Library's print collection of books and journals (as listed in the Library Catalog). 12 public computer terminals provide access to:
- Electronic Databases
- Electronic Books (some limitations)
- Electronic Journals
Available Resources (from OUTSIDE Library)
- Library Catalog
- Electronic Public Reading Room (EPRR) - LANL documents required for compliance with environmental regulations and permits
- Los Alamos Research Online (LARO) - a public repository of LANL documents starting from 2006 to present.
- Books: HathiTrust Digital Library - public domain works from college/university digital libraries
- Journals: Directory of Open Access Journals - list of free, full text scientific and scholarly journals
- Patents: Google Patents - Google search interface of the USPTO Database
- Preprints: arXiv - open access, scientific preprint server (begun at LANL)
- Reports: Energy Citations Database - DOE reports (1948-present)
- Standards: EverySpec - government and military standards, specifications, handbooks, and documents
- Theses and Dissertations: Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
Subject Pages list core resources by subject, and may contain other publicly available resources.