STEM Challenge Winners
As part of the Laboratory's 70th anniversary celebration, a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) challenge asked teams of students in grades six through 12 to create a vision of the Lab 70 years into the future. The teams created posters, videos, essays and could design computer applications describing what science or technology would look like in the year 2083. A total of 21 entries were submitted.
And the winners are:
Best of show
• High School (Poster) - West Las Vegas High School
• Middle School (Video) - Velarde Elementary School
Middle School (grades 6-8)
• Best Middle School (Poster) - Pojoaque Middle School
• Best Middle School (Video) - Velarde Elementary School
• Best Middle School (Essay) - Mountain Elementary School
High school (grades 9-12)
• Best High School (Poster) - West Las Vegas High School
• Best High School (Essay) - Taos Academy
Awards included $300 in each category for use in the schools’ math or science classes. Each member of the “best of show” teams will receive either a Kindle Fire or iPad Mini. Los Alamos National Security, LLC supplied the prizes for the competition.
The challenge was created through a partnership with Agnes Chavez, President of Sube, Inc., a small woman-owned business located near Taos, NM, that provides language instructional materials.