IN THIS ISSUE
- Kurt's Column
Paying It Forward
- New Director Joins United Way of Northern New Mexico
Kristy Ortega began as the new executive director of the United Way of Northern New Mexico in July and is currently on a “listening tour” to learn more about needs and assets in the region.
- A Volunteer Opportunity That’ll Grow on You
Located in the beautiful Jemez Mountains, the Pajarito Environmental Education Center (PEEC) needs volunteers to help with its herbarium.
- Research & Technology Showcase In Albuquerque
Businesses interested in learning more about working with Sandia National Laboratories through licensing, partnerships, procurement, and economic development are encouraged to attend its Research & Technology Showcase.
- Small Business Innovation Research Workshop
To help businesses prepare their grant proposals, there will be two-day workshops in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
- Free Film Screening At Bradbury Science Museum
There will be a special screening of the film “The Biggest Story Problem: Why America’s Students are Failing at Math” at the Lab’s Bradbury Science Museum.
- LANL participates in the “Next Big Idea”
To help promote the unique and creative science community that is Los Alamos, the Lab is holding activities to dazzle and delight.
- Northern New Mexico College Scholarship Dinner
Northern New Mexico College will hold its 17th Annual Scholarship Awards & Donor Recognition Dinner.
- Lowe’s “Toolbox for Education” Grant Applications
Over the past five years, Lowe’s “Toolbox for Education “ program has provided almost $25 million to more than 5,000 schools across the country.
- Predicting The Future Could Win California Or Illinois Scholarship
To qualify, students need to post the answer to this question on their blog or website (Facebook and other social media don’t count): “Where do you see the Internet in 10 years?”
- Espanola Public School Teachers Strengthen Skills
In the July heat, 21 elementary- through high-school teachers attended a five-day, 30-hour workshop designed to help them better understand and teach earth and space science.
- New Director Of Community Education At UNM-LA
Eva Artschwager has joined the University of New Mexico-Los Alamos as its director of Community Education.
- Additional Public Meeting on Plutonium Disposition
The Department of Energy (DOE) has decided to extend through October 10 the public review and comment period for the Draft Surplus Plutonium Disposition (SPD) Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
- LANL Sets Waste Shipping Record
For the fourth consecutive year, Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Transuranic (TRU) Waste Program sent a record number of shipments to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) near Carlsbad, N.M. for permanent storage.
- In Other News
LANL employee chosen for “Frontiers of Engineering” symposium; 16th Annual Hazmat Challenge strengthens response skills
- Kathy Keith
- Community Relations & Partnerships
- (505) 665-4400
- Toll free (888) 841-8256
SHARED COMMUNITY VISION
A thriving economy, world class education system and a high quality of life in Northern New Mexico.