Flying into Albuquerque?
There are several ways of getting from the Albuquerque International Sunport (airport) to the
La Fonda On the Plaza: car rental, Rail Runner (train), and shuttle service. (Using a taxi for the 60-mile trip between Albuquerque and Santa Fe is not recommended.)
CAR RENTALS at ALBUQUERQUE INTERNATIONAL SUNPORT
Car rental customer service counters and ready/return lots are now located at the Sunport Car Rental Center, 3400 University SE.
Free car rental shuttles provide transportation between the terminal building and the Sunport Car Rental Center. Shuttles, which are handicap accessible, run every 5 minutes from the commercial lane located outside the first level of the airport terminal building.
Please note: Overnight parking at La Fonda On the Plaza is $12 per night for guests.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS from I-25 and ALBUQUERQUE AIRPORT
Map to La Fonda On the Plaza, Santa Fe
Santa Fe is approximately 60 miles north of Albuquerque. There are many ways to get to the La Fonda Hotel, but this is the easiest:
1. As you leave the airport, take the Sunport exit west to I-25 North. Take I-25 North all the way to Santa Fe.
2. Once near Santa Fe, take the St. Francis Drive exit (#282B) and follow sign toward "Los Alamos/Taos/Santa Fe Plaza."
3. Proceed north on St. Francis Drive to the tenth traffic light (which is Alameda Street) and turn right.
4. Proceed to the first traffic light (which is Guadalupe Street) and turn left. Immediately get in right-hand lane.
5. Turn right at the traffic light (San Francisco Street). Proceed straight for about four blocks, which takes you through the Santa Fe Plaza and to La Fonda hotel, which will be on your right side. (St. Francis Cathedral Basilica will be directly in front of you the whole time.)
6. Proceed to the hotel's parking garage at the end of the block, on the right side of the street, right before the cathedral. You've arrived!
RAIL RUNNER (TRAIN)
The New Mexico Rail Runner has regular service between Albuquerque and downtown Santa Fe. Ticket prices are currently $6 each way for a train between downtown Albuquerque and the Santa Fe (Railyard) Depot. You can take a taxi from the depot to the hotel, which is about 8 blocks away.
Rail Runner schedule and route information
From the airport, to get to the train station, you can either (1) take a taxi or (2) get a direct bus connection to Albuquerque train station. There is also a weekend train schedule.
If you don't wish to take the train or rent a car, there are also several privately owned shuttle services that provide door-to-door service between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Both companies offer regular fares of about $25 per person each way.*
- Roadrunner Shuttle Services
- Sandia Shuttle Express*
Phone: 1-505-242-0302 or toll free 1-888-775-5696
* Special BIW10 discount: If you are booking your own Sandia Express Shuttle, call the toll free number (1-888-775-5696) to receive a $5 discount each way. (The discount does not apply to Web booking.)
Flying into Santa Fe?
You may fly into the Santa Fe Airport using select commercial flights. For details about airlines and transportation info from this airport to downtown, check out the airport's Commercial Airlines, and Shuttle,Taxi, and Rental Car Services Web sites.
Locals: Want to commute to BIW10 by bus?
LANL employees: are you interested in taking the Park & Ride (P&R) bus to Santa Fe and back during BIW10? Check latest P&R departure schedules from Los Alamos, including drop-off locations in Santa Fe and return-trip info.
Get general info about New Mexico Park & Ride service