Regulators, Requirements, Statutes
- Environmental Communication & Public Involvement
Environmental laws and regulations
LANL complies with more than 30 state and federal regulations and policies designed to protect human health and the environment.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS)
- New Mexico Environment Department (NMED)
The specific requirements of environmental laws are published in the Code of Federal Regulations and the New Mexico Administrative Code.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) enforces the federal regulations.
New Mexico State Requirements
The New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) enforces the state requirements for air, water and waste.
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
Requirements for air quality and air emissions from facility operations
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
Requirements for water quality and water discharges from facility operations
- Compliance Order on Consent
Requirements for investigation and cleanup of Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) and Areas of concern (AOCs)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
Mitigation of pollution and contamination on LANL property
- Environmental Management System (EMS)
Continuous set of processes and practices undertaken to enable LANL to achieve environmental missions and goals
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know-Act (EPCRA)
Public’s right to know about chemicals released into the community
- Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA)
Protection of rare species of plants and animals and their habitat
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
Projects evaluated for environmental impacts
- National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA)
Projects evaluated for environmental impacts to historical sites
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
Regulates generation, transportation, treatment, storage of solid waste, hazardous waste, and underground tanks storing petroleum products and other hazardous substances