Scientist, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
Science Thrust: Theory
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Institute of Physics and Technology, Physics, B.S., 1992
Graduate: Institute of Spectroscopy (Russia), Physics, M.S., 1994
Graduate: University of Rochester, Chemistry, Ph.D., 1999
Relation between optical and chemical properties of organic and semiconductor materials; Development of modern computational methods for molecular optical properties; time-dependent density functional theory and semiempirical methods; Nonlinear optical response of organic chromophores; Adiabatic and non-adiabatic molecular dynamics of the excited states; Collective electronic excitations and optical response of confined excitons in conjugated polymers, carbon nanotubes, semiconductor nanoparticles, and molecular aggregates; Charge and energy transfer in biological and artificial antenna complexes; Ultrafast nonlinear spectroscopy; Nonlinear dynamics of complex classical and quantum systems.
- V. N. Gorshkov, S. Tretiak, and D. Mozyrsky, "Semiclassical Monte-Carlo approach for modeling non-adiabatic dynamics in extended molecules", Nature Communications, 4, 2114 (2013).
- J. Clark, T. Nelson, S. Tretiak, G. Cirmi, and G. Lanzani, "Femtosecond Torsional Relaxation", Nature Physics, 8, 225-231 (2012). Featured in: News & Views, Nature Physics 8, 179 (2012) 'A lightning-fast change'
- F. Terenziani, C. Katan, M. Blanchard-Desce, E. Badaeva, and S. Tretiak, ”Enhanced two-photon absorption of organic chromophores: theoretical and experimental assessments”, Adv. Mat. (Review Article, journal cover page) 20 1 (2008).
- C. Wu, S. Malinin, S. Tretiak, V. Chernyak, ”Multiscale modeling of electronic excitations in branched conjugated molecules using exciton scattering approach,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 057405 (2008).
- S. Tretiak, ”Triplet absorption in carbon nanotubes: a TD-DFT study,” Nano Letters (journal cover page), 7, 2201 (2007).
- C. Wu, S. Malinin, S. Tretiak, and V. Chernyak, ”Exciton scattering and localization in branched dendrimeric structures,” Nature Physics 2, 631 (2006).
- S. Tretiak, R.L. Martin, A. Saxena, A.R. Bishop, "Photoexcited breathers in conjugated polyenes: an excited state molecular dynamics study," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 100, 2185 (2003).
- S. Tretiak, A. Saxena, R. L. Martin, and A. R. Bishop, "Conformational dynamics of photoexcited conjugated molecules," Phys. Rev. Lett., 89, 97402 (2002).
Selected User Projects
- Non-Adiabatic Excited States Molecular Dynamics: Photodynamics in conjugated macromolecules, Sebastian Fernandez-Alberti, Buenos-Aires, Argentina
- Design and Engineering of Optical Nano-Materials Based on Organic Branched Structures, Vladimir Chernyak, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- How Structural Complexity Controls Emergent Properties of Nanoscale Excitons, Gregory Scholes, University of Toronto, CA