CINT Scientist, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
Science Thrust: Nanophotonics
MPA-CINT, MS K771
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Education and Training
Undergraduate: University of Science & Technology of China, Physics, B.S., 1997
Graduate: University of Science & Technology of China, Physics, M.S., 2000
Graduate: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Physics, Ph.D., 2004
Hou-Tong’s research at CINT focuses on metamaterials and surface plasmonics, mainly in the terahertz frequency range. These involve the design, numerical simulation, fabrication, and characterization of passive, dynamical, and active metamaterial and surface plasmonic devices. His recent activities include dynamical and active hybrid metamaterials, metamaterial antireflection and perfect absorption, superconducting metamaterials, as well as metamaterials for flat optics. He is also interested in terahertz time domain spectroscopy, ultrafast laser spectroscopy, and scanning near-field microscopy for material and device characterizations.
- N. K. Grady, J. E. Heyes, D. Roy Chowdhury, Y. Zeng, M. T. Reiten, A. K. Azad, A. J. Taylor, D. A. R. Dalvit, and H.-T. Chen, “Terahertz metamaterials for linear polarization conversion and anomalous refraction,” Science 340, 1304 (2013).
- H.-T. Chen, “Interference theory of metamaterial perfect absorbers,” Opt. Express 20, 7165 (2012).
- H.-T. Chen, H. Yang, R. Singh, J. F. O’Hara, A. K. Azad, S. A. Trugman, Q. X. Jia, A. J. Taylor, “Tuning the resonance in high temperature superconducting terahertz metamaterials,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 247402 (2010).
- H.-T. Chen, J. Zhou, J. F. O’Hara, F. Chen, A. K. Azad, and A. J. Taylor, “Antireflection coating using metamaterials and identification of its mechanism,” Phys. Rev. Lett., 105, 073901 (2010).
- H.-T. Chen, J. F. O’Hara, A. K. Azad, A. J. Taylor, R. D. Averitt, D. B. Shrekenhamer, and W. J. Padilla, “Experimental demonstration of frequency agile terahertz metamaterials,” Nat. Photon. 2, 295 (2008).
- H.-T. Chen, W. J. Padilla, J. M. O. Zide, A. C. Gossard, A. J. Taylor, and R. D. Averitt, “Active terahertz metamaterial devices,” Nature 444, 597 (2006).
Selected User Projects
- Carrier dynamics and THz detection with composite Nanomaterials, Joshua Zide, University of Delaware
- Controllable spatial terahertz modulators, Daniel Mittleman, Rice University
- Nonlinear responses of superconducting terahertz metamaterials, Keith Nelson, Massachusetts Institute of Technology