Graduate Program Time Limits and Work Schedules
- Student Programs
- (505) 665-8899
The length of participation in the graduate program is limited as follows:
- With a bachelor's pursuing a master's degree: 4 years
- With a bachelor's pursuing a PhD: 7 years
- With a master's pursuing a second master's degree: 2 years
- With a master's pursuing a PhD: 4 years
- With a master's pursuing a master's and PhD in a new field: 6 years
Students may remain in the GRA program for up to three months after receiving their PhD.
Students participating in the MBA program, post-baccalaureate appointments, post-master's appointments, and GRA students working on a thesis or dissertation are excluded from the 30-hour per week work restriction.
All students are eligible to work full-time, 40 hours a week during the summer months. In addition, students are not required to be enrolled in courses over the summer.
9/80 work schedule
Summer students, post baccalaureate, post masters, and GRA students working on a thesis or dissertation are eligible to participate in the 9/80 work schedule. The student must have permission from the mentor to work this schedule, and it must be requested and approved through the payroll system.